Old 07-14-14, 08:18 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Mine too. All five bikes within a mm or what they claim to be, certainly not a whole size too small.

In fact, I don't recall ever seeing any reference to hooked rims at all back then. Of course I may have forgotten. I ran them at the rated psi on the straight-sided Fiamme Yellow Label clincher rims, not a superb rim but light. Never had a blow-out until recently when I tried running a 25mm Pasela on them at its rated 115psi. That prompted me to rebuild the wheels with different rims.
There may have been a few hooked rim 27" wheels built at the very end of 27", before they stopped being used on new bicycles all together. What is interesting is that some bicycle frames, even as early as the mid 1970's were designed to go either way. Maybe because the bicycles needed to be able to deal with tubulars which were never built in 27". Maybe because the frames were designed for multiple markets where the frame could be assembled in the US or Canada for 27" or in Europe or Asia for 700C was much more popular.