Old 06-17-19, 09:06 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
A few young adults took an elevator so obviously the youth in this country are fat and lazy.

I held off on electronics for my kids for a long time. We dont have a game console and they barely use a traditional computer. But they do play on apps. Lots of world building and whatnot.
I fail to find fault with them playing those games for an 30min to an hour each day. They actually play together on separate devices so its social. Creative and social? Oh the horror!

Like most everything, it's all about the details. Some video games may not be good, but others can be great. Some time spent playing video games may be fine while a lot of time spent may be bad.
Etc etc etc.
I am typing this on a phone and posting to a virtual conversation board...i can hardly fault kids for doing similar.
Thing is, most of us grew up in a time when exercise was a requirement so today it is a choice. For them, lethargy and stagnation is all they know. The world have become soft and convenient. If you ever use the subway, just watch the number of people that choose the escalator/elevators rather than the stairs -- even going down.

Some kids are inherently energetic, but parent tend to squash that energy with mind-numbing electronic toys to keep them quiet, rather than taking their kids out for some good old-fashioned exercise.Just take them to the park and let them run around, swing, etc. until they're exhausted.

Fact is, kids need exercise. Especially during the time their muscles and bones are growing and developing. If they don't get it when they're young, they grow fat, lazy and often remain that way for life. The worst thing a parent can do is buy their kid an electric powered car or scooter. Resist that temptation at all costs. You're doing more irreparable harm to your child, then good.

The first thing my PE teacher used to do with the class is to release us to run around the field a time or two. Not only was that healthy, it had a secondary function in making us all a lot more easy to manage. No ADHD drugs necessary.