View Single Post
Old 07-23-19, 04:49 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
If you look at the Shimano Sora mini-V brakes, there's metal on both sides of the brake pad bolts. I find that's a cool solution that would work for large tires (I mean on longer V-brakes like say something like over 115mm). If this can be done, I don't know why some manufacturers don't do it. Because I've seen even cheap bikes now with disc brakes. Seems to me a cheap bike might be better with good V-brakes than cheap mechanical disc brakes.

Oddly, I just found out that the Breezer Midtown might be challenging to get in Canada. A retailer suggested the Raleigh Redux to me. I would hesitate about that since the video on Youtube I linked here showed there was minimal clearance with 2.4" tires. And I read you need 6mm minimum on both sides of the tire. (I'd like a bike capable of 2.6" with fenders.)

On the other hand, I just noticed something different about the Breezer Midtown. Instead of the "regular" head tube angle and seat tube angle of 71° and 73°, it has angles of 69° and 73.5° (for the medium). It also has a chainstay length of 470mm, 175mm cranks and somewhat odd type of handlebars (unless you can change the angle). The Kona Dew City has V-brakes and 450mm chainstay but I don't know about the maximum tire size. Although I'm pretty sure the cranks are likely 170mm. I also would prefer 42/32/22 than 48/38/28 chainrings. I'd prefer rapidfire shifters (minimum Altus) and I'd replace the cheap Chin Haur bottom bracket which I read is not recommeded. It does have rack eylets front and back though which is a good plus.

Since hybrids with 2.4" tires only started coming out recently I might wait a couple of years to see what's available.