View Single Post
Old 09-23-19, 07:57 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Interesting data point for me. Did a solo century on Saturday, same route I did about six months ago. First time out was on my aero road bike, this time was on the gravel bike with road tires. On most of my usual routes and group rides, I haven't noticed much difference between the two bikes. But riding solo for 100 miles, there is no doubt that the gravel bike is slower. Probably mostly due to rider position, then to a lesser extent, frame and gearing. But I was about 10 mins slower, and the kicker is that when I did it on the aero bike it stormed hard for the last 30 miles, so that slowed me down even more (weather was clear and perfect this past weekend). Not a big deal to me, just interesting to see the difference is much more apparent over a longer distance, which makes sense.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes when I do that route again with the new Tarmac.
Not saying one is slower than the other but I've done a routine 40 mile route about 150 times. My moving times can be +-5 or more minutes and average speed +- 0.5 mph on any given day on the same bike.

Random selection:

Last edited by u235; 09-23-19 at 08:29 AM.
Likes For u235: