View Single Post
Old 06-26-08, 04:49 PM
tpreitzel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Renaissance Charger Test

*** For this test, I'm NOT using a SLA battery for a bicycle hooked in parallel, but it'd be easy to do. I don't have a need to use SLA batteries with this charger ... yet. The test includes two 12v FLA automotive batteries. However, this test will either prove or disprove the capabilities of the R. charger in my mind as long as the individual cells are OK.

Originally, I thought the Renaissance charger was bad, because I had it hooked up to one of the 12v batteries and the LED light remained off. After a brief pause, I decided to check another 12v battery and this time the LED light glowed red so I knew the charger was OK. I then checked the voltage on the battery which failed to light the LED and it was , ahem, 3v *. The Renaissance charger will not even function unless the operating voltage is at least 9v. So, I got out the jumper cables and hooked the two 12v batteries in parallel. The Renaissance charger is now charging both of the batteries. Will this charger bring the bad 3v battery to a workable level? We'll see. If it does, I just likely saved $60. The charger itself costs $200+. In a day or so, I'll post the voltage levels on the bad battery. IIRC, I charged the bad battery about 12 months ago with a different 12v charger so I'm concerned that some cells are beyond repair. We'll see.

6/27/08-6/29/08: Charger test needs some changes. My "good" battery isn't so good so I'll have to concentrate on it first. The voltage was barely 9v so at least it's charging with the R. charger. When it's finally charged, then I'll switch back to a parallel setup.

*** BTW, the R. charger is temperamental to setup. I'm still investigating the proper method of connecting the charger. The manual is brief and covers the highlights, but ... When the manual states the one must disconnect the AC power and then the charger from the batteries and then reconnect them in the reverse order within 60 seconds, it means it, but even that process doesn't always work. However, at the moment the R. charger is charging one 12v FLA battery... Well, after 24 hours on the charger, I decided to pull the plug and let the power supply for the charger cool. The LED never changed from solid red (charging) to solid green (finished). I'll return to finishing the charge on this battery later. As of now, this better battery is 13v after resting a couple of hours which is very good. I want to work on the 3v battery in a parallel setup for awhile. Although the LED of the R. charger lights a solid red (charging) in parallel with the better battery, the 3v battery emits significant gas and heat so I'm limiting the charge time to about 10 minutes initially to allow the battery to cool between charge cycles. I hope to work beyond the limited time progressively. The R. charger has a thermal sensor to protect it from excessive heat. Although, I'd personally like a higher cutoff temperature, adding additional thermal protection (heat sinks) would add significantly to its cost. If the temperature of the posts on the battery rises above a specific level, the charger shuts off automatically which is why I'm having difficulty charging the 3v battery. The 3v battery appears hopeless, but I'll continue trying as I get more time. Due to excessive heat, I currently have to charge the 3v battery early in the morning only... The longest charge for the 3v battery so far has been 50 minutes so the battery is slower to heat than it used to be which gives me hope that this battery can be fully reclaimed eventually. If I can't fix it by Monday, I'll have to let it sit for a couple of weeks as I'll be busy elsewhere.

Blinking RED indicates that the battery is properly connected to the charger, but the AC power is not... but that's a crock because my AC source is just fine. I called customer service at r-charge.com, and they said a possible problem might be the 24DC output of the power supply. The center post on the output connector of the power supply is positive and the ring is negative. He said that the company has had a few returns of the power supply (not the charger), but all of the chargers and their power supplies are checked before shipment. I've checked the output and it is fine, i.e. 24v.

* The 3v battery was manufactured about October of 1998 so it's ten years old.

Last edited by tpreitzel; 06-29-08 at 06:22 PM.