Old 11-30-19, 06:25 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
I'm not a competitive cyclist, but I do compete regularly in running events and can track changes in my performance over the years. When I started running, I progressed in distances from 5Ks to 10Ks and eventually up to doing marathons, but only ran a few of those. Then, for a while, half-marathons (13.1 miles) were my favorite events, but in the last 10 years I've slid back down the distance scale and am back to doing 5K races with an occasional 10K that I actually have to train for as opposed to when I could run one at will. So much for changes in endurance.

As for performance, I've discussed this with numerous other runners my age -- including one who is in the "elite" category -- and we all agree that when we passed 70, our performances fell off noticeably from year to year. I've never been a great runner, but have generally been in the top third of my age group. When I was in the 65-69 AG, I could sometimes place well when I was 68 against runners who were 65-66. But since 70, that has not generally been true. When I turned 70 and entered the 70-74 AG, I ran a lot of races that year since I was placing really high and even winning a couple of local events. But now, at 73, I can see that my 5K times have gone down in the past 3 years by about a minute a year (out of a typical time for me of about 30 minutes). Pace-wise, this is the loss of about a minute-per-mile since I was 70. So now in a decent-size field, I'm often beaten by some 70yo young whippersnapper and am looking forward to when I turn 75 and can be at the top of the field again.
I ran in a 5k Thanksgiving morning in Woodstock VT. The thing that bugged me a little were the age groupings for awards: 20-29, 30-39, etc. The last grouping was simply “60 and over”.

I interpreted it as implying that they either believe that no one over 69 runs, or that anyone who does doesn’t really count. Granted, out of nearly 800 runners only 7 or eight of us were 70 or over, but I think there ought to be some acknowledgement.

There was one 70 year old runner who ran a great 25:23 time (I’m 71 and ran 28:57) but even that didn’t place him among the top 60+ finishers. It’s to your race organizers’ credit that they they have age groupings for 70+ runners.

Many timed gravel grinders like the ones I ride in have just a 50+ category for riders. It’s not really about winning an award. It’s just nice when there’s some acknowledgment that people in our age group exist.