rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by swatdh
Just found this sight. Great information here. Recently got back into Cycling after a 30 year leave. I have been using the free Cyclemeter App for IPhone for five week now. This past weekend I was riding through a paved path with very tall trees on either side. There are no leaves on the tree this time of year. When I finished my ride I checked the Cyclemeter and only a portion of the ride was showing. From the ride map ,it seems that the area outside of the trees was showing and the area in the trees was not. Does anybody know if this is a normal occurrence on other cycle computers or just this free one?
Your GPS cut out due to the satellites being blocked. You may want to buy a standard bike computer that has a wheel sensor (and cadence sensor) which will accurately record, speed and distance. Your app won’t allow you to do that.

I have an expensive computer which uses GPS for many functions but I still rely on a wheel sensor for accurate speed/distance. When the batter inevitably dies on the sensor the system uses GPS and my speed plummets by about 10 MPH.