Old 01-09-18, 06:42 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ldmataya
My first cross mentor, when I asked this question, said a frame is a thing you hang your components on. Great advice at the time. I would rank importance of equipment in this order.

- Tire choice and tire pressure
- Brakes, hydro disc performs consistently and you can slow in the same locations each lap.
- Gearing performance. Do you have the right gearing for a course and how fast can you get into the best gear when your hands are frozen or wet.
- Pedals. How fast can you clip and start pedaling in either normal or muddy/icy conditions
- Fit and geometry of the bike. Are you a climber or cornering daredevil and does the bike fit your style.
- Small things that add up to be big things. Bottom bracket seal drag is very useful because then my cranks don't rotate on me when I drop the bike back on the ground. Are there cables in the way of where you try and grab the downtube. There are more of these...
- Overall weight.
- Saddle, is your kit hanging up on it, remounts are maybe easier with a smoother saddle.
I can get behind this. Good tires made me much more confident and fast. I think riding SS put me in a mechanical advantage to some of the geared 4/5 folks.

And good brakes, even just better pads can help. I recently changed pad brands and I think it might have been a big part of a really bad crash I had Sunday.