Old 02-12-18, 01:07 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Foldy313
Be confident. Be observant. Act like you know where you are and where you are going. And keep your emotions in check.

For example, if you are riding along and find yourself going down a street where many homes are burned out and abandoned and start to fear for your safety, don't stop and stare with your mouth hanging open. Don't point and joke with your friend about the kind of people who must be living there. Don't break into your fastest sprint without knowing where you're going. Calmly backtrack and find another route.

And if a car full of people comes along and they call you names, just keep pedaling. Don't call them names back or give them the finger. Ignore and avoid, don't escalate.

The closest call I've had in five years in Detroit was another cyclist riding up to me and baring his teeth and growling like an animal. It was so unusual the first time it took me by surprise. I just figured he was off his meds and didn't say or do anything. The second time got my hackles up, and I thought he might attack me. I told myself if he does it again, I'm going to confront him. That was a bad idea. You can't argue with crazy. Things could have gotten physical and who knows?

Fortunately, he didn't do it again, and I rode away like I should have done in the first place. And that's when I started reading up on situational awareness and safety.
As I said before perspective make a world of difference in how someone views posts like this. I have moved from places where there were far fewer suggestions for safely riding through an area. For those of us that don't have to think about those things when we ride around places where we live it sounds daunting. More than likely they are good suggestions and worth following for someone that has no other choice.

To a degree it reminds me of a suggestion posted in this forum years ago after I mentioned that I hadn't been on a city bus in 35 years. The poster wanted to assure me the experience could be enhanced by following a few simple rules. Don't make eye contact with loud passengers. Take a book and keep your face in it. Don't sit too far back in the bus. Maybe it was good advice but it simply confirmed my reasons for not riding the bus. I at least see the suggestions from a different perspective.