View Single Post
Old 09-22-19, 06:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Nope. Not ever riding a city/county MUP again, for ALL of the reasons the OP noted. And even though I've been a member of Rails-to-Trails since they started in 1986, I have yet to ride on one. MAYBE I'd ride on a rural one, but not where there are Trail Toads clogging them up. I my normal riding pace is anywhere between 17-21mph, and I refuse to slow down to our local MUP speed limit of 8mph.
I wouldn't ride on anything with a limit of 8 mph either. My cruising speed is a bit higher than yours, however, and there are several rail trails in my area where I can ride uninterrupted at speed for several miles.

I find that it's hit or miss whether an urban street will be more or less clogged than an urban MUP, and it's a lot less pleasant to get stuck behind and between Amazon vans, postal jeeps, city buses and people who like to double park.

There's really no MUP with a higher speed limit where you are? That's effectively a "no bike commuting" rule. Defeats one of the major purposes.