Bike Forums - View Single Post - Best current headlight for use with SA Dynohub GH6
Old 10-09-19, 09:18 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by brianinc-ville View Post
Hi. I've got a '74 Raleigh Superbe I'm using as a frequent commuter. As the days get shorter, I feel like I need a better headlight. Right now I've got a Busch & Müller Classic N (which is the Lyt in a silver plastic shell), but A) it doesn't have a standlight and B), more importantly, it's just not bright enough, especially at low speeds.

What current-production (2019) dynamo headlight would you recommend, to get the most out of the Sturmy Archer GH6 dynohub's output? Ideally, $100 or less.

Also, I remember BF user @minisystem 's ingenious hub magnet upgrade from years ago, but I'm not quite up for that level of engineering -- but has anybody made a drop-in solution?

Thanks!
I would suggest a modern B&M with their excellent optics and efficient LEDs. They don't really need the full output of a SON, so with the lesser spec of a GH with added consideration of potential decrepitude, I would think an LED headlamp should work well. But I haven't tried it, nor do I know anyone who has.

I know I toured 10 years ago with a halogen B&M and a 35 year old Soubitez bottle dyno. It worked very well.

The electrons from a vintage dyno are the same as the ones from a modern dyno. Question is are there enough of them (current) and will they fight hard when they are produced (voltage)?

Last edited by Road Fan; 10-13-19 at 08:16 AM.