View Single Post
Old 12-05-19, 05:15 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Best way to cut steerer tube?

What I'm really asking is: roller tube cutter vs. saw and guide?

So, I've got this new fork and I need to cut the steerer down to size. I could just take it over to the Trek dealer nearby and have them do it for me for a small fee (they'll probably even do it for free for a longtime customer,) or I could buy the tools I need and do it myself (which is... just better.)

I had some experience cutting piping when I worked at my late mechanical engineer dad's shop way back when, which is why I'd rather have the cleaner, rounder, more precise cut that I believe a quality roller cutter can produce compared to the rougher, less precise cut of a saw, even if it has been used with a guide.

That said, I can buy a quality roller tube cutter locally and use that, whereas I'll have to order a saw guide online if I go the saw-and-guide route.

The steerer in question is steel, which may or may not matter as to which of the two cutting methods is best.

So, could you fellow wrenchers give me guidance? (excuse the pun )