View Single Post
Old 02-04-20, 08:33 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I mountain biked in the 1990's as a teenager. At about 18 years old, I raced a triathlon. It hooked me on road bikes. By 22 I'd done 2 Ironmans and maybe 100 shorter distance tri's. I preferred just the bike so I started racing. Got as far as Cat 3 with some decent upgrade points and I turned 27. What is a 27 year old who isn't racing in Europe yet? That's right, a recreational cyclist. My ego couldn't handle it and I packed it all up except a commuter.

I exclusively climbed rocks for the next decade. Great places, hard routes, grand adventures. I found myself becoming an adult a couple years ago. I wanted to get back on my bike so I got one. A very nice road bike. I quickly found the routes I wanted to ride incorporated gravel. My bike could clear 28s so after a season of that, I got a proper late 90's steel, cantilever brake monster that's extroidinarily capable, just a wee heavy (22lbs).

I only enter the odd race to take advantage of aid stations, but I find myself longing for a super light gravel racer. Maybe this spring.