View Single Post
Old 05-06-11, 07:02 PM
RuggerJoe

Bikes: '23 Marin Muirwods, '90 Specialized Hardrock (gone)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll startoff by sayiong I was 350 at the begining of the year and before I decided to do something about it. now after a few months of adjusting my diet and biking to and from work I'm over 1/3rd of the way to my goal of 220.

.1st, I’m paranoid that people are watching me because to see a Clyde on a bike is not the norm here, at least I have never seen it.

I've watched bug guys and gals on bikes. you know what I was thinking? "There's someone doing something to improve their health. Being passed by a guy bigger than me while being stuck in traffic every night on the way home was my inspiration to start riding.

2nd, I’m not a fast rider, in fact I am anything but. I just like to take my time while others go at the speed of sound. And that makes me more paranoid because I keep thinking people are laughing at me going slower than them because I’m a Clyde.

I am by no means a fast rider. Some times I take it quicker, somtimes I take a nice ride home and enjoy the scenery. the only time i had anyone laugh at me was when I fell over at a red light because I forgot to unclip from my pedal. Frankly I was laughing too.

3rd, I’m going through the learning process of getting the gears right for what I want to do. So when I come to an incline, I am sometimes not in the right gear and by the time I have figured it out its too late and I can’t pedal so have to get off. Another reason for being paranoid and looking a fool.

Just like speed, finding the right gear to take a hill with will come with time. I generally try to get into the highest gear I can when aproaching a hill to build up a little speed. Then as I loose steam I down shift as I needed in order the keep going. Sometimes I end up unclipping and walk the last bit. No shame in that.

4th, I’m not confident that a bike will hold up to my weight (310) and the last thing I want is to have to get off because of a broken something or other and have to push it home. More paranoia – Clyde pushing a bike because he broke it!!

I don't know what your riding but I wouldn't sweat it. I'm riding a 20 year old bike and started riding at about 20 lbs heavier than you are now. If you take care of it and don't do anything crazy you should be fine.

Am I being totally stupid here?

Maybe just a little. But don't sweat it. Ultimately it doesn't matter what anyone else out there thinks. Just get out there and ride. You might just inspire someone to take the leap.

Last edited by RuggerJoe; 05-06-11 at 07:10 PM.