Old 07-26-11, 11:53 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
A little project I have been working on for some time but am just about ready for powdercoat... refitted my 1973 Phillip's 20 with rear stays and a fork taken from a Nishiki International which had a broken main tube and down tube. Stays and fork were of excellent quality with Suntour / Tange dropouts and as they came off a touring bike were just what I wanted for my separable touring bike.

Work was all free hand brazing and joining the old stays and new ones was accomplished by using chromoly sleeves / pins and the ends of the original chain and seat stays.

Added a few inches in the rear which will allow for better heel clearance and built up the fork with suspension correction in case I decide to go that route in the future and reduced the trail from the stock fork.

Increased the bb and pedal clearance which is an issue on 20's, especially when you run 175mm cranks and the bike should be a nice shade of British racing green after a little more clean up, detailing, and after I build custom racks.

Have been in test ride mode to ensure that the geometry is just right as I do not want to make any fork alterations after the powdercoating and figure I nailed it... the bike tracks and corners like it is on rails and is very stiff.

Looking pretty raw here and there is a little more work to be done... a few folks have said I should just clear coat the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2011forrestbuild1.jpg (96.6 KB, 371 views)