View Single Post
Old 07-08-05, 04:33 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 'nother
Have to agree . . . I'm south of 210, but I'm certainly no pixie either. Climbs are tough for me, but they're kind of unavoidable around these parts if you want to get away from the sprawl. So I have learned to enjoy, and occasionally even savor them
I agree that most of the best rides in the Bay Area are pretty hilly. You just need to train a little and learn to enjoy them. If necessary, get some low gears. Local bike shops probably sell half or more of their road bikes with triple cranksets. With sufficiently low gears, even a heavyweight should be able to make it up Old La Honda Road. If you do that once a week, you won't be a heavyweight for long.

If you really really don't like long climbs, there are some nice rolling rides out along the ocean, especially between Half Moon Bay and Pescadero (Hwy 1, Stage, Verde, Purisima, etc.). There are also some nice flat to rolling rides out in Marin (Headlands, Paradise Loop). The bay side of the peninsula is not very exciting. Same goes for the east bay flatlands.