Old 12-12-13, 02:29 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
Let me ask you a question... you are driving down the road and your briefcase slides off the seat and you reach to catch it and drift into the bike lane and hit a rider... should you go to jail for that? or lose your job?
Yes, if I were to engage in that level of negligence and harm someone, then I should go to jail. Securing the driving compartment is basic driver's ed. Those who fail to do so should not be allowed to drive, and certainly should not be allowed to hold down jobs that involve driving, since they are either too stupid to foresee what can happen or they are too lacking in empathy to care.

Originally Posted by Pamestique
I get everyone is suspicious of peace officer nowadays but jeez, don't think this happened on purpose. Unless you all know something i don't... it's a sad tragic accident. A life was loss - let's focus in on that instead...
A critical safety component failing is an accident. Negligently failing to watch the roadway and then running down a cyclist in a bike lane is not an accident, it's a criminal act of negligence. (That's based only on what we know: the debris field runs from the bike lane and thus the deputy struck the cyclist while he was in the bike lane.)