View Single Post
Old 11-07-16, 04:26 AM
Pathfinder2436

Bikes: Dawes Galaxy [in bits]. New Surly Big Dummy.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Gower Journey....

My wife and I live in Wales. A few weeks ago we decided to ride our new bikes from our village in "Pembrey" to a tiny place the other side of Crofty, across the Gower. From Pembrey harbour you can look across the bay and the sun at times shines over the rooftops of the houses there. So we didn't think it would be too difficult a journey. We have today what is called the Millennium Coastal Path. Money was found in the year 2000 for a cycle path to be built. And over the years more money was found to extend on the first part of the cycle network. This was the link to all towns along our coastline. Well, I put my trust in Google maps. I asked Google, how far is it from Pembrey to my destination? It replied 14 miles!! Ha! We picked a day and it turned out to be the perfect day for such a casual ride. We packed some sandwiches and a flask of tea. And at 10'O'Clock on a Friday morning we set off. I rode my new Surly Big Dummy and my wife rode her new Dawes town bicycle. We rode the coastline! But most of the journey was through woodlands that made us feel we were a million miles from home. We rarely saw the sea. And what we thought was fourteen miles turned into 30 one way. The path doesn't go in a straight line. We passed dozens of cyclists and many walkers, and everyone greeted us warmly. There is something about cycling and indeed woodlands that relaxes people. Tensions disappear. People are thoughtful. People find time for each other. That is why we don't have a car. We haven't driven for over twenty years. We are both 64. Cycling keeps us young and in touch with young people. We've decided for our next journey, we'll ride to Mumbles. Mumbles I believe overlooks the Bristol channel.... Thanks for reading....