View Single Post
Old 03-26-19, 07:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
I will agree with everything that's been said except for the Live Tracking. The Bolt is a GPS receiving device and does not transmit any location data. That function is done by the companion app on your phone using data streaming through your cellular service. Unless you have some portable battery chargers with you (for your phone) and have an unlimited data plan, using the Bolt's Live Tracking on very long rides may not be a good idea. You may want to consider a cycling app on your phone that sends an email at a designated distance or time interval for tracking and the Bolt for everything else.
AFAIK, the Wahoo Live Track feature works the same as Garmin in that the smartphone app pulls the location data from the device via a BlueTooth connection, with the app then updating the Wahoo/Garmin website(s). From there the track is viewable to whomever you linked. On a Garmin and with Live Track functioning, an e-mail with a Track link is sent to whomevers e-mail you provided.

Obviously for this to work, the phone needs cell data functional, so will use battery to keep that link active. I’ve never noticed that it drains my iPhone noticeably, but maybe on a long multi-hour day.