View Single Post
Old 05-23-19, 06:15 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
E-Bikes: A Gateway Drug?

I insist on (almost) always test riding a bike before buying. So far, there hasn't been an e-bike that I thought was so compelling that I'd want to drop several K on it.

However, I'm staring to develop a taste for, even an addiction to speed. 20 mph ebikes are great; certainly more than adequate for short trips. Of course, I'd want a 28 mph class for longer trips or for commutes where I want to keep up with traffic.

But why not a 35-40 mph unrestricted e-bike? I certainly wouldn't want to travel at those speeds consistently on a bike but for short bursts of power, or for open stretches of road, especially on longer trips, absolutely. For example, I want to be able to complete 100 mile round trip day trips out of town.

Now, we find ourselves in a quandary. Why not just get a motorcycle then? The main factors are safety and convenience. I haven't examined the stats, but I'm often told that motorcycles entail enormous risk. However, the more e-bikes I ride, the more speed and range I want, and the only practical 'solution' to max out speed and range is a motorcycle.

There's no affordable option for this right now, but eventually I want an e-bike with 2K to 2.5K watt hours which can easily cover 100 miles at 20 mph average speed.

But do any of you see e-bikes as a gateway drug to gas powered dirt bikes, motorcycles, or even electric motorcycles? Much of the target demographic seems to be older riders who want to get back into cycling, so it doesn't seem like it. But there must be some riders who develop a speed addiction as result of riding e-bikes.