So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,740 Times in 2,761 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
Here’s my highly unscientific anecdotal experience:

Until this year I rode an early 90’s Bianchi Virata with Tange Ultralight tubing. Full Ultegra 8 speed group set with downtube shifters. Tires were Conti GP4000, 23mm.

This is year I ride a Specialized Roubaix SP4 Sport with 10r carbon frame and 11 speed 105. Tires are the Specialized that came on the bike. It’s about 3 pounds lighter than the Bianchi. My rides are solo and very consistent. My average speed is almost identical to that of the Bianchi. I ride because I like to ride and for fitness. My average ride is 25 miles. So basically all other things being equal, I am no faster on the lighter bike. The biggest advantage to me are the 11 speeds. It’s also pretty flat here.

By by the way I bought the Roubaix as I wanted more modern geometry and an updated group set with brifters. I love the bike and especially the gearing.

I don't think you're doing it right.

Crabon, more speeds, everything points to faster. Of course, Ultegra>105, but there is some time between. Might be a wash there, simply because after a couple years, Ultegra is Dura Ace, and 105 is Ultegra.

Last edited by LAJ; 06-05-19 at 05:47 PM.
Likes For LAJ: