Old 11-21-18, 11:20 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I found a local shop with a couple of Sugino ox-601d for much cheaper than soma fab. I'm going tomorrow to pick one up. Is anyone interested in another?
It comes with large sized 110 bcd chainrings, so you'll most likely have to use your own. TA Zephyr and Zelito chainrings, or Spa Cycles, has the widest selection. I was also able to get up to 20T jump with a chain catcher and some of fiddling with the FD.

I had a look at the Sugino website, and they discontinued the ox-901d too. Instead they've now got the ox2-901d which has serrated splines like the Shimano hollowtech 2 splines, which I believe makes a tighter fit and is more stable, but costs $400. The large, tall OX splines creates gap. I have about 0.1mm all the way around. This caused the left arm to gradually slip out, but I fixed this by adding lightweight loctite 222 on the compression bolt. I was thinking of getting another one because, I had a 165mm but I feel like my cadence is too fast, so I'm going to go back to 170mm.

I was also able to adjust the ox-601d chainline by 0.5-1.0mm by using Shimano mountain BB (with shaved road sleeve) and a spacer on the drive side. Shimano mountain BB overall width on 68mm BSA is around 0.7mm narrower than the overall width of the Sugino BB that comes with the crankset. The Shimano road BB is around +2mm overwall wider than the Shimano mountain BB, so you shouldn't use the road BB on the Sugino crank, otherwise you'd shorten the spindle by around 1.3mm. Original chainline is closer to approx. 44mm. Gap between chainrings is around 7.3-7.5mm. Q-factor to the most outer surface (not the countersink for pedal washers) is around 148mm.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 11-21-18 at 11:24 PM.