View Single Post
Old 12-21-18, 07:34 PM
fronesis

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneshane
Hi, I loaded mine, it appears that mine is worse, and it's almost all the way out already and I still have slightly larger gap than 15mm. it's shift ok (not as crisp as I wanted) but I cannot really complain too much
what else can I do? buy a new chain and increase the chain length?
My 2 cents:

1. Yours doesn’t seem all that far off. Yes, it’s probably a bit more than 15mm, but not a ton more. No reason to worry about it.

2. I do suspect that your chain is a bit shorter than it could be. While in the biggest cog, your RD is being pulled so far forward that it’s almost in front of the cog. And since the lowest point of the cog is directly underneath it, pulling the RD forward means pulling it away from the cog. Your RD looks like mine did when the bike arrived. With a new, and slightly longer chain, my RD is more directly underneath the cogs, even when in the biggest cog. So if the gap of greater than 15mm bugs you, you could always install a new chain with 1 or 2 more links in it, and I’m pretty sure you’d be able to dial in the 15mm gap.

I showed you the picture of my wife’s bike (size 53). On my bike (size 55) the RD is in the exact same position, but I have the b screw is threaded in even further.