Old 01-27-06, 04:46 AM
iBarna

Bikes: A great one!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by attercoppe
Ouch! Next time you're at the store, look at prices of laundry detergent and figure cost per load. Even the fancy expensive stuff is usually quite a bit cheaper (per load) than the one load boxes they sell at the laundromat. (For instance, I recently figured my current bottle of detergent runs about 15 cents a load - the boxes at my laundromat are 75 cents, some places they're even more.) This is a good example of something that can nickel and dime one to death - it might seem fairly cheap to buy the little boxes there, but when you figure up how much you're actually paying over, say, a year - you can really save a lot. As with many things, the bigger bottles/boxes are cheaper (per load) than the smaller ones. I buy the huge jugs of whatever kind of detergent, and to avoid having to carry the whole thing with me when I walk or ride to the laundromat, I decant one or two loads' worth into a smaller bottle.
Yes but as I pointed out a few times... I do not live simply so that I can save as much money as possible. To me simple living is a luxury, actually. I know and accept that I pay more for the luxury of not having to worry about, own, repair, replace, etc stuff. This is the country of services and I love using them.

Here's an example... I had to pick up some packages yesterday at UPS. I rode my bike there, locked it up next to the building, got the packages. Then took a cab with the packages home. I could have walked (about half an hour) but I didn't. I hate walking, especially with awkward boxes in my hand. Then I took a cab back to my bike. I biked to a restaurant where I ate (that box business sure made me hungry!!), then biked home. This is something very typical for me to do, and from where I'm standing, it makes perfect sense. I hate driving, walking or the bus, and only occasionally enjoy to cook. I love biking, eating out, and taking care of chores quickly. I realize that I could have saved money by walking both ways and cooking something at home. But honestly, I am not hurting for money that much. What can I say, I'm a 29 year old IT guy in San Francisco with no car, no wife, no nothing -- you get the idea.

On the whole I am saving money, since having no car just reduces my expenses a ton. But this is more of an added bonus to my main objective. Don't get me wrong: I don't throw around with money for sure... but if I have to spend even 20% more money in order to reduce my STUFF and WORRIES by a great deal, then I'll do it. My philosophy!