View Single Post
Old 12-05-20, 09:33 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked 11,014 Times in 4,710 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Not so good if you ever transport a fendered bike.
Originally Posted by Kapusta
This^^*^

Doable, but a bit of a hassle to reconfigure the arms for them, and I still need to strap down the rear wheel. I only transport fendered bikes a couple times a year, so it is not so bad, but if a fendered bike was in my regular rotation, I’d get a different rack for sure.
I use the Thule xt pro. The rear wheel straps down onto a tray, and then the front wheel clamps down over the fender. I put a bit of pipe insulation under the fender, i.e., between the tire and fender, so that the clamp doesn't bend the fender.

Still, if I transported fendered bikes a lot, I would have an entirely different type of rack.

Edited to add: Kapusta does identify a huge advantage of the 1up rack. I do get tired of swinging my Thule rack downward to open the rear hatch on my SUV. On the other hand, since getting the rack, I've not gotten a single bill in the mail from our turnpike system -- the camera can't read my rear license plate with the rack in the way, and we don't have front plates. So, that's an advantage. If I drive the turnpike enough, this rack will pay for itself eventually.

Last edited by Koyote; 12-05-20 at 01:12 PM.