Old 02-09-21, 02:41 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked 3,891 Times in 2,322 Posts
Originally Posted by studbike1
I am 99% certain the wedge is below the threads. In my records it says quoted $80 to thread the steerer all the way down, and it's 20 bucks per inch.

That would surely require a custom stem, to have the quill that long. To not have that listed on the build order or service ticket means the place missed either charging you for the custom stem or didn't feel it was important enough to mention. But there's a way to find out, pull the stem and measure. Remember one measurement is worth a thousand assumptions. I would also suggest taking a look at the added threading. If done with a typical fork die the chance of thread form issues is far greater with a die cutting the threads then with a single pointing on a lathe. I will say that the years of use do suggest that the design has worked this long.

This can be ran with no spacers - the clamp on the bottom holds the threadless headset in tension like a top cap would. If a stress riser where to form, do you think it would be noticeable if inspected from the outside of the steerer regularly?? Or are you thinking these things are invisible to the naked eye and fail catastrophically?
If the steerer threads were exposed where the stem wedge is at then, yes, any issues due to the wedge's pressure should be in the open. Note I didn't say that a rider will see it (I am continually surprised how blind to easy to see or feel issues many riders can be). Steel has the wonderful quality of tending to tear once the crack has gone far enough to relax the stress. Tearing takes longer and sometimes gives a warning before complete separation. Andy