View Single Post
Old 05-14-18, 05:12 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by efatras
Hi I'm Elizabeth. I'm 5'4" and weigh in at 255. I dropped 15 lbs recently. Just purchased a cannondale Althea 2 and am looking to lose at least 100 lbs. I'm uncomfortable in my own skin and am terrified of getting made fun of while trying to improve my health. I'm embarrassed because the gear shows my flab but I'm excited to take better care of myself and get fit.
Hi Elizabeth. Understand totally what you are saying. I was 24 stone, 336lbs, when I started cycling last year - Not even been cycling for a year yet.

Like you, I was embarrassed to wear clothes that were, shall we say, tight. Very self conscious.

After a few weeks, I began to think, "F**k it!", if people look, then they look. If they point and laugh, so what! I am on my own journey. They mean nothing to me. My friends, family and colleagues supported me. encouraged me. then very quickly, other cyclist were offering advice - never criticism. Never!

10 months on....

I wear lycra, dropped 4 stone. Regularly cycle 30 to 40 miles. Feel brilliant.

Yes, there have been moments. Times where I struggled. but, I had a destination to go to. Never took my eye off of the prize. If I fell(metaphorically and physically) off the bike, I got back on it. It's a long journey. And with every long journey, there will be problems along the way.

I don't know you, but I know you(if that makes sense??). Don't let ANYONE deter you from what you want to do.

I applaud you and support you....

Go GIRL!!!

This is the difference in 10 months....I am half way through my journey.

Very proud of you!