View Single Post
Old 12-20-20, 10:56 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
Good comparison. I am a paddler as well as a cyclist and your comparison reminds me a bit of the differences when packing a canoe vs. a kayak for a trip. You end up with many more small bags in a kayak to be able to fit your gear into long narrow compartments through small hatches. I have started putting kayak gear into a big IKEA shopping bag to make it easy to minimize trips to the boat when loading and unloading, as the camp can be a ways away from the boat.
I use a medium sized mesh duffle bag for that on kayak trips. Mesh, so that any sand that gets in it falls out immediately. I have also used that as a carry on bag on Amtrak, the one in the photo that has red ends. That duffle was stored in the bottom of a pannier on my Pacific Coast bike trip, I rode Amtrak to and from the coast for that trip. That duffle is 340 grams. The photo is my carry on luggage at the end of my Pacific Coast trip for the three day trip on Amtrak (was supposed to be two days) to home.

I have a similar mesh duffle that is a bit larger, those two duffels on a kayak trip makes hauling my gear from shore to the tent site much easier.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 12-20-20 at 10:59 AM.