View Single Post
Old 12-20-20, 06:50 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Now that looks like fun! Around here the good areas are all either national park or wilderness, so cycling is limited. I wonder about climbing speed and if you can climb any faster than a backpacker, say 1000'/hr.? We're down to maybe 700'/hr. now. with 3-day packs. You're certainly a lot faster on the flat!
Now that's a good question.

I think, at some point, a hiker going at a good clip can keep pace with, or pass a bike going up hill. Happens all the time on the access trail at our local MTB area. But cumulatively, a bike will make more distance or the same far easily. I have to say though, I calculate 1/2 the distance per day on it when planning than I would for my older converted mtb touring bike. Bearing in mind that I also calculate twice the distance I did on that when planning for my newer road oriented endurance bike. Roughly 50km / 100km / 200km respectively.

Plus, it's just so much darned fun.

This bike, while a little too fat for regular trails, gives me so much pleasure when the emphasis isn't on distance/speed. It's fun to ride and I'm not afraid to take any detour trail or obstacle if I choose. On last summers (2019) Gulf Island tour I linked a series of pavement and trails all across Gabriola and Salt Spring.
Likes For Happy Feet: