Old 06-21-19, 05:29 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
+1, my initial thought, even before I started reading through the responses, was a Worksop built 1977 Raleigh. It's obviously a repaint and looks to originally have been black. This and Campagnolo dropouts with eyelets, would be indicative of a Competition GS. Given the repaint, the cable tunnels are likely an addition, as would be the shift lever bosses and bottle bosses.
After all the great input here I spent way to much time researching this and I believe you are correct. I found the paint is actually quite good once I started cleaning and I think was likely done at an auto body shop. The black you see is from residue from electrical tape used to hold computer wires and other items, however I see what appears to be black paint on the the edges of the bottom bracket tube right next to the threads so I believe it was black. Except for the items you point out (cable tunnels, shift lever bosses and bottle bosses) it seams to match the 77 Competition. Although there is a bit of rust spotting on the chrome it is coming off quite easily and I see no trace of rust inside the frame.

Components are another matter. The Campagnolo seat post, front derailleur, and head set, Brooks saddle, and possibly the bottom bracket match the 77 Competition. I don't think the 3ttt stem and unbranded handlebar, or Modolo brakes do. The wheels and remainder of the drive train appear to be of newer vintage.

Unless someone else knows something else I think this is as close to an identity as I can get. Unfortunately I am too big for the bike and the repaint and miss matched components likely reduce the value fore resale, but it will still be a nice ride when I am done.

I have another bike with identical paint that I got from the same guy, but it has definite Bianchi identifiers (B stamped in the fork crown, etc.). I will likely be looking for help determining the model and year of it too.

Thanks for yours, and everyone else's help.

Last edited by bikeaddiction1; 06-21-19 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Fix typos