Old 08-30-16, 01:00 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lbautista23
Hi i'm currently in the market for my 1st road bike. I'm coming from a 2013 Giant Roam 1 (HEAVY!!!). I've narrowed it down to a few bikes and they're from Giant.

2016 defy 2 disc - $1,200 My LBS has this in stock and I was able to test ride it and it was pretty damn nice
2017 contend 1 - $810 My LBS also had this in stock and I was able to test ride it too. The neon red is an interesting color
2017 contend SL disc 1 - $1,315 This one has the best color scheme out of all of my choices black/orange. I haven't rode one yet because my LBS does not have them in stock yet.
2017 contend SL disc 3 - $1,050 Same as this my LBS doesn't have this yet.

If this will be my only road bike purchase ever which would be the best one? Do disc brakes make a difference? Does the components make a difference and is it worth the price difference? I don't plan on riding a lot of hills or in the rain.
They are all good bikes. Typically, I would say for your first road bike, but the least expensive one as you do not know if you will like the sport or not. It sounds like you have already been riding though and know that you like the sport. Thus, I would go with the Contend SL Disc 1. The 2016 is just not low enough in price at this point. I have a Giant mtb and they are a good bike at good prices. If I were you, I would try some other bikes just for a point of reference. If you are sold on the Giants, than get the one on your list that best fits your budget. if you can afford the Contend SL Disc 3 than go for it as it has the best components.
As for disc brakes, that is a very subjective question. I personally see no reason for them but to be fair, I live in Florida and see no hills. I am sure that even in SF the verdict is split on them. The are not necessary but if you want them and have the money, than go for it.