View Single Post
Old 01-23-19, 06:06 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Ahhhhh! A clean transmission is always appreciated by changing gears! Glad this solved many of your shifting issues.

I wonder if the "skating" could be solved by a new chain? You don't mention what brand or speed chain you are currently using (at least I couldn't find this with the search function). I did see where you speculate that it would be best to stick to a 9 speed or lower chain. It would seem to me that if you are using 10 and 11 speed sprockets, a matched chain would be essential to better shifting performance. I'm with you that I wouldn't want to shell out the $$$ for an 11 speed chain. But consider trying a new 9 or 10 speed SRAM or KMC chain.

Or, remove and clean your current chain. This is how I clean my chains: Remove and wipe thoroughly with a WD40 soaked rag. Next, I scrub mine in hot soapy Dawn dish detergent, followed by 1/2 hour in the ultrasonic cleaner with a Branson MC-3/hot water degreaser solution. After a complete rinsing in hot water it goes in the oven at 200F for at least a 1/2 hour. As soon as I remove it from the oven I lube each link with warm ChainL oil.

I went ahead and deleted my post with the Sheldon Brown Gear Calculator Chart since it was incorrect. Best not to confuse folks with the wrong information.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 01-23-19 at 12:06 PM.