Old 04-09-19, 09:28 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
I'm considering getting one of those cycliq cameras. however, I don't really want to spend the coin, considering I already have a gopro session that's not seeing a whole lot of use lately. my plan is to record only the 30 minutes of going out of town and getting back into town, where the traffic are the heaviest and the probability of accidents are multiplied. what has y'all's experience been like when it comes to dealing with bad drivers?
I actually disagree with your thought on where the video is most important. Out on lonely country roads is where you will want to have a camera. In town, there are people everywhere, and though the percent chance might technically go up due to the sheer number of vehicle interactions, getting smacked out in the middle of nowhere will likely have zero witnesses, or people around to help. Frankly, it might end up being the evidence your "next of kin" needs to bring justice. A morbid thought, but that's the reality.

I'm sure you just chose the wrong word, but cameras will in no way make your ride more "safe". The only way I could even think a camera would make you "safer" is if you had a giant sign that said "SMILE, YOU'RE ON CAMERA!", and that might only make a difference to a psychopath who would otherwise intentionally run you down. Accidents will not be prevented by a camera, by definition of the word "accident". So, consider what you really want out of the camera. If you mean "safety" in terms of after-the-fact information gathering of the driver who ran you down, yes, it's possible a camera would help, but by itself it's not going to prevent jack squat.

Last edited by cthenn; 04-09-19 at 09:36 AM.