View Single Post
Old 03-14-19, 05:29 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Interesting to me is that there seems to be the notion of value judgments here. As if being "hardcore" is better than being casual or casual is better than being hardcore. Both notions are nonsense.

I qualify as hardcore on so many levels. I have all the equipment. I ride oodles of miles, including commuting. I do crazy long rides, and have even raced RAW and RAAM. Most of my friends are cyclists (great folks), and I advocate for cycling infrastructures and education.

Objectively, that's hardcore I guess. But it doesn't feel like it. I'm just doing what makes sense at the time.

I ride lots because I live where the traffic SUX and I have a great bike path. I have all the equipment because I've been at it for 30 years or more. I do crazy long rides, cuz they're fun and for me, they are not difficult (probably all the commuting). Ditto the RAW and RAAM ... I was just lucky to get the opportunity.

Does that make my cycling any more important, desirable or relevant to anyone else? Nah. Does it make it any worse? Hell no. We're all doing what we're most comfortable with for whatever reason. It's all good.