Old 05-24-20, 08:42 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
114 miles on a ~1970 Schwinn Continental. Rule number 5....

Oh, this bike is a super slow heavy bastard, and to make it worse I added a plywood box attached to the bike with rips of 2x4 all held together and to the bike with steel tie wire. I'd bet its right close to 40 pounds, and super flexible.

I recently posted about being bummed that all the rides I signed up for this summer got cancelled, and how I just needed to HTFU a bit, and uhhh, this ride the culmination of that.

I'm feeling pretty fit, so I just went out and hammered all day, got a bit crampy from miles 70-85, but more water and food fixed it, finished the ride feeling good too, legs were down on power somewhat, but not crampy of hurting.

The bike is way too big for me, I have negative 1" of standover height, so I flipped the seat clamp around to get the reach about right.

Top of bear mountain,

Google sent me on ten miles of dirt on the ride,

I had a rugged headwind heading back south, luckily I was in these trees for 3 miles or so which were plenty tall enough to keep the wind away,

My sweet plywood box stitched together with wire,

The bike has a mechanical speedo/odo, it worked when I got the bike, but I oiled the drive cable and oil ran into the drive unit that contacts the side of the tire and made it stop working :-( Hopefully I can open it up and clean it out and get it working again, I was rather looking forward to checking my progress on a mechanical odo. I did a smaller ride a few days ago and its half way accurate, it recorded 10.4 miles fo 10.8 that I rode, I can grind down the drive wheel to correct the %4 error. Yea it also has a bottle generator and a light that work.

Last edited by jackbombay; 05-24-20 at 08:45 PM.