Old 05-25-20, 06:13 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I don't know what it's like to ride a too-big Conti, but in my view they are a comfortable ride. Heavy, obviously, but if you're racing nothing but the sun, that's not such an issue. You could ride hands-free all day, it's stable on descents, and the opposite of harsh.

Well done.
The bike rides quite nice really, I don't think the tires are original, at least they are in good enough condition that I had no qualms setting out for a long day on them, I ran 90 PSI in the rear and 80 up front. This bike is a bit bent somewhere though as you have to lean it a decent bit to the left to get it to ride straight when no handed.

One thing that I'm pleasantly surprised by is the foam bar "grips", I know they are the hallmark of cheaper bikes, but man, these things are great! So comfy!

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Sounds and looks like a great ride. Good for you!
Was a beautiful day, started off a bit cool, but ended up right around 70 for most of the day, little bit of a small shoulder in some spots, but better than I expected for enough "shoulder room".

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Jack, you're my new hero, bumping Greg LeMond out of the top spot. You don't need to HTFU, you're already there.
I'm flattered! I actually have modified the famous Lemond quote regarding the bike for adventures such as these, "It doesn't hurt any more, you just go slower."

I do have some arguably stupid, undeniably painful, big rides lined up this summer so I'm trying to get a lot of time on the bike to be ready for those.

Originally Posted by jjames1452
I have a friend that I met through bike forums that works in Cincinnati every year. I lend him a bike for the 3-4 weeks he is there. He took a liking to my Trek 720.

I respect the Continental. That was the Cadillac of 10 speeds when I was a kid. But, it may not be a bad idea to ask BF members in the area for a loaner. Much respect for the ride though!!
The thought crossed my mind, but my work my schedule is all over the place and I don't have a particularly secure place to keep the bike, its locked to the back of the cab on the the flat bed of F450 that is my daily driver right now, getting groceries in a 11,000+ pound truck is always good for a chuckle....

Originally Posted by cycleheimer
If you get a chance, check out the North County and South County bike trails on the other side of the Hudson. Flat old rail trails, and they get nicer as you go north.
Actually, last spring I rode a century on those trails, on my 16" wheel folding bike, nice riding there for sure!

Originally Posted by Piff
Man, talk about proving the old saying "it's not about the bike."
Depriving my brain of oxygen is a big piece of why I like to ride bikes, I can do that just as well on a Continental as I can on a modern carbon road bike, every bike has some admirable enjoyable characteristics to check out :-)

Originally Posted by gugie
Best post of the year
I'm double flattered!

Originally Posted by SalsaShark
With this training you'll be able to ride non-stop on a bike that actually fits you properly. Nice ride!
With the seat clamp flipped to put the seat forward this bike actually fits me pretty well, I think it has a bit of a laid back seat tube angle so moving the seat that far forward corrects that, but yea, considering how good I felt on the bike yesterday right till the end I know I can put down some huge rides on my nicer bikes that are sized appropriately for me!

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
@jackbombay, that is all really impressive, and I hope you don't take this in the wrong way, but you are very stupid person.
I've never thought of myself as being that smart before! :-P

Originally Posted by branko_76
and no toe-clips...
That was a bit rugged, I did lament the absence of my clipless pedals and shoes for a bit during the ride...