View Single Post
Old 11-04-18, 05:42 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Chicago MTA operators and Greater Boston MBTA operators are among the best trained in the nation.

I’ve had ONE problem with ONE operator in a shared bus/bike lane. Rececent expansion of shared bus//bike lanes across multiple communities around here have not resulted in mass casualties and death, or worse, whiney passengers.

That said, it’s a diamond lane. Both in Chicago and in Boston people on bikes may choose to use diamond lanes.

It’s definitely polite to “take” the general travel lane and let the bus pass you on the right. You will not die, the M*******s driving alone in their cars in the general traffic behind you in the lane will not die, and bus passengers will not even notice. (Most of the time when it matters, the general traffic lane next to the bus lane is moving slower than people on bikes or people on busses.)

Learning how to safely pass a bus on the left has nothing to do with bus lanes.

(P.S. In many bus lanes, people driving CARS merge into the bus lane to make a right turn. There are lots of great safety reasons to do so. Bus passengers somehow survive such motor vehicle invasion, and bus operators are not ramming the cars “in their way.”

There are also places where people driving CARS are not allowed to merge. When you travel, learn the local laws. It’s not that hard.)

-mr. bill
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
but I have played leap frog w city buses & I don't like it
Originally Posted by livedarklions
They mix all the time, whether or not by design. At least this way makes the rules clearer.
I live near Mass Ave and Comm Ave, a very busy auto, bike and pedestrian intersection with a bus/bike lane, and it works well. My bike shop is on that corner, so often I have to leave the sidewalk to get into that right-handmost lane, and it’s easier than a mixed-use lane.