View Single Post
Old 10-17-18, 07:32 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I received a response from a Felt representative. Here's what they had to say....
No this is not an issue. Lacing a wheel this way has to do with hub spacing, spoke tension, chainline and rim/tire width.

Having a fat tire with a regular width hub, spokes need to be laced this way to keep the wheel centered and the spoke tension similar on both side of the hub flange.

Sincerely,
L

Makes sense?
It aligns with what I suggested:"Your rear hub is probably not entirely symmetrical, with one flange being further inboard than the other. If they'd laced the most inboard flange to the same side row of rim holes, maybe the spokes had ended too close to vertical for a reliable build.
So they laced the most inboard flange to the opposite side of the rim to get a better lateral (sideways) spoke angle."

As far as providing a (theoretical) reason, it works.

However. I'm not sure I buy the execution of the idea. The DS spokes seems to run at a very shallow angle, near vertical.
There's NO way that rear has similar DS-NDS spoke tension if I'm interpreting the picture right.
And I don't like the look of the bend of the NDS spokes right where they exit the nipple.
But maybe it's good enough for the purpose. It doesn't seem like it'll be a high-mileage bike.