View Single Post
Old 08-10-20, 01:07 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I still can't get over the fact that much of your argument is that I said courses created in different file formats behave differently on the devices. Instead you say that is because of the data contained by them and not a format issue.
The problem is that what you are saying is vague and unclear. It doesn't help anybody understand how this stuff works.

A TCX file (one format) can have "course points" or not have "course points". The format is the same.

The difference in behavior is due to a difference in data (not the format).

"Format" refers to how data is stored/represented. It doesn't refer to what data is stored.

Originally Posted by Iride01
If you didn't get that I was saying that different data gets put into them based on what export file type was selected, then...... I don't know. <grin>
Garmin Connect, using the same format (FIT), outputs different data for different models (it doesn't output normal course points for models that use maps).

Different sites might not ever output course points for FIT or TCX.

So, what you are saying isn't correct and doesn't help people understand what is going on.

And this is irrelevant for people who are not using course points.

===========================
  • The behavior of the different formats for turn guidance is the same.
  • The behavior of the different formats for track following (on/off course), used by all the units, is the same.
  • If the file (regardless of the format) doesn't have course points, you won't get course points.
  • GPX files will never have course points.
  • TCX and FIT files won't necessarily have course points.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-10-20 at 02:07 PM.