Old 02-08-18, 08:10 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by TheEstimator
Wow! Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone. I believe I've been convinced otherwise on the Schwinn. Makes sense to me now to put in a bit more for better quality, as is almost always the case. I was just looking at the Trek Verve and Verve 2 on Trek's website. I'm intrigued..
One of my two primary hybrids is a Verve. Mine is a 2015 model Verve 3, but Trek were using slightly narrower tires with a suspension fork back then. They're currently using a rigid fork and wider 45mm tires.

I love this bike. It has a comfortable geometry and just fits me very well. I bought it in the summer of 2016 (when it was a year old) and paid 250 bucks for it. Basically brand new -- it just sat in the guy's garage until he decided to sell it. Mine has a 3x8 Acera drivetrain, which is similar to what you will find on today's Verve 2 (the current Verve 3 has moved to a 3x9 drivetrain). You get a very nice bike for 500 bucks. But the Verve 1 is also well-equipped, with trigger shifters a mid-grade Altus rear derailleur, which is more than you'll find on many $399 bikes (which will typically have Tourney derailleurs and twist shifters).

The Verve is a very versatile bike, and easy to adjust. The 2 and 3 have a very nice adjustable quill stem -- meaning you're nearly guaranteed to be able to adjust the handlebar into a comfortable position for you without buying additional parts or replacement stems. I think the Verve 2 is worth the extra $120 over the Verve 1 because you get the adjustable stem, a cassette rear hub with nicer derailleur (and 8 sprockets vs 7), and a suspension seat post (if that appeals to you). The Verve 3 is another 100 bucks over the Verve 2, and the difference mainly lies in the rear derailleur and one extra sprocket (9 in the back versus 8). I think the Verve 2 is probably the sweet spot in today's Verve lineup.

Here's my Verve 3. I've swapped OUT the suspension seat post (I didn't care for it), and I added Planet Bike Cascadia fenders, a pair of 50 Strong bottle cages (which hold Gatorade or water bottles great), and a complete set of Kool-Stop dual compound brake pads.

IMG_20180120_144818795 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

Last edited by hokiefyd; 02-08-18 at 08:15 PM.