View Single Post
Old 07-02-22, 08:55 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesterton
A couple of questions about the Raleigh Sports/Superbe:

Is the large (23") frame comfortable for a person around 6' tall? For about ten years my daily rider was a Pashley Roadster with a 22.5" frame, and that felt just fine, although that has 28" roadster wheels, so the bottom bracket was higher than typical. I picked up a 21" Raleigh Sports a few years ago as a backup but it felt too cramped to be comfortable for anything other than a last resort bike. I considered replacing the seat post with something longer to get the saddle higher but never pursued it. My Pashley finally gave out after 10 years of Buffalo winters when the crank rusted through and the pedal fell out. So I'm looking for a new "getting around town" bike along the same line. My Anglophilia is strongly urging me to find an old Raleigh 3-speed in good condition.

If I don't luck out and find a Superbe with the original rack, what kind of rear rack is best on a Raleigh 3-speed? Just to hang a pannier to carry my lunch to work, etc.

Are there any "secret" websites other than Craigslist and eBay to troll for these bikes? I have my LBS on alert to let me know if anything comes through.
I'm more comfortable on the 23" schwinn racer than I am on the 21" Hercules, and I'm almost 5'10". The swept bars and upright position make it easier to fit. Unfortunately, English-built 3 speeds are slowly becoming extinct, so you need to keep your eyes peeled. Maybe befriend a local bike buyer and let them know what you're looking for, since they might show up to buy a stable of nicer road bikes, but have Ye Auld 3 Speed thrown since they're there anyway.
I paid $10 for my Schwinn, because i told the bike guy I was looking for a 3 speed wheelset. Neither of us considered at the time that Schwinn used the ISO 597 sizing, rather than ISO 590...