Old 01-12-21, 12:41 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 1,105 Posts
BTW, check out Saul Alvarez vs Callum Smith. DAZN put up a long highlight reel immediately after the bout and it's fairly representative of the full fight.

TBH, Canelo wasn't all that impressive. He mostly threw one punch at a time. He appeared to be at 80% of his usual quickness and overall effort. It looked more like a spirited sparring match.

Smith was clearly at a disadvantage due to inexperience and a poor fight plan. But he has the tools to get much better. If he learns and adapts -- as Canelo did from Mayweather -- Smith has real potential. He made the mistakes of fighting short when he could and should have fought tall; didn't move effectively; didn't work that long jab enough to keep Canelo off balance. Smith has a good chin, good heart, never looked ready to quit or just survive. He connected with some good shots. Nothing to be ashamed of in that loss.

I'm surprised to hear Alvarez plans to stay at super middle. I don't see any advantage. Just a few years ago there was a notion that he was too small to be a full middleweight. That was wrong. But he looked a bit chunky at super middle, not chiseled, not as quick, not as busy. And super middle has generally been among the least respected divisions, with the exception of Andre Ward, who faced most of the best of the era. Even Joe Calzaghe didn't face Carl Froch or Arthur Abraham. I don't see Canelo beating a prime Andre Ward or Calzaghe, not with his showing against Callum Smith.