LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12784 Post(s)
Liked 7,697 Times in 4,086 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Thanks. Sounds like it is not a very pleasant ride then? I will be touring Mt Hood and the Columbia River Gorge. After I want to get to Lacy to visit a friend. Then on to Seattle to catch the Empire Builder back home.

I wanted to ride all the way to Lacy but time might not allow it. I kind of like the idea of at least riding to Kelso so I can cross the Columbia then catch the train to make up time. But it sounds like it isn't worth it so I might just catch the train in Portland.
Unfortunately your choices are highways with wide shoulders and fast traffic and 2-lane blacktops with 0-6" shoulders and still pretty fast traffic that runs you off the road on blind corners.

I've done I-5 from Ridgefield to Tumwater a couple of times. About 100 miles starting from Vancouver. HWY99, 20th Ave, 15th Ave, 10th Ave (get fish and chips and beer at PNW Best Fish Co.), S. 5th St, then jump on I5 at Pioneer St.

Or you can just do some nice Portland to Vancouver ride, get on the train at Vancouver, Off at Centennial station , then do a loop out to Nisqually, then back into Lacey.