View Single Post
Old 07-26-19, 05:05 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Hey everyone. I'm 51 and have lost 145 lbs in the last year. I'm getting pretty fit and just started riding a bike again after 25 years of being too fat to sit on one. I bought an old Trek 820 Single-track with steel frame. I'm 6'1 and 180lbs with a 32" inseam and this Trek is 17" from the crank tube to seat stem tube top. I put a 5" riser so my handle bars are even with my seat. Point being I will soon buy a bike that fits me.

Now to the main question. I've put over 100 miles on this bike so far, just enough to maybe start knowing how I like to ride. Most of my rides are on dirt roads and I find myself exhilarated by speed. At first I could barely run on the low side of the gearing on my rides and just use the 1-7 on only the low side. Now I find myself always in the high side and mostly in 7 wishing for more pedal.

I won't be doing any significant jumping and I won't be trying to get hurt at 51. I ride some rough hillsides but the bigger bumps cause my hands to hurt bad for days if I really get into the rough stuff, thus my style is mostly smoother track but fast as I can go, which isn't likely fast by most standards but I've only been riding again for about 2 months.

I live within 2 miles of old dirt roads and logging roads where I could do 30 miles or more without repeating a trail. There are no bike parks designed for riding close to me but plenty of forest gravel roads and trails. Point being I'll never ride a lift to the top of a mountain just to ride down fast.

I think I want an XC bike as light as I can afford, but I want something comfortable enough that I enjoy riding it every day, so a lighter hard tail trail bike is also a thought.

Any of you older guys ride an XC bike? Do you ride light trails with it also?
Get a fat bike they are simple light weight fun and easy to ride. No drama no suspension sans the big tires. they are a blast and can be had for a relatively low price. At 53 I enjoy the MTB bike every now and again but I have 5 bikes of every category
Go for it. I also use a Suspension seat post a Good One Thudbuster and it takes the edge off. Keep us informed.