Old 01-08-20, 02:51 PM
t1k

Bikes: C&V primarily

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Paraffin waxed chain skips in freezing temperature

I live in a dry climate (Calgary, Alberta) and have always used the ProLink Chain Lube to maintain my chains. This lube done a good job in summer.

I commute 22 km (about 14 miles) round trip to work 3-5 days a week.

This winter we've got quite a bit of snow and the temperature swings dramatically (sometimes 20 degrees within a day).
On the wet slushy days the lube washes off the chain fast and I have to re-lube daily. So I become interested in waxing the chain because of all the benefits it promises: 200+km between rewaxing, clean chain and longer chain life.

I tried the hot waxing method last weekend. Cleaned the chain (it's a used chain with less than 0.5% wear), soaked it in three mineral spirit baths, dried, and "cooked" it in a paraffin bath (no additives, pure paraffin). Before taking the chain off the slow cooker, I waited for the paraffin to cool down to the point when a film started forming on the top. There was quite a bit of paraffin left on the chain after the process. I did not wipe it off, thinking that it will serve as a protection layer for the chain (a mistake, as I found later).

I've cleaned the cassette and the chain ring, loosen the chain (it was hard as a stick) and installed it on the bike. I also used paraffin on the jockey wheels bushings (again, not a good idea). Spun the crank for good 10 minutes to clear the excess of the paraffin from the chain.

My commit on Monday (it was -5C (23F)) started with some skipping. But I was optimistic and expected the skipping to go away soon. I checked the jockey wheels in the evening and found that they were very stiff and had lots of resistance. So I cleaned them and lubricated with a dry chain lube. The chain was still pretty stiff.

On Tuesday it was much colder -15C (5F) and the chain skipping became much worse. On my way home it was snowing and the skipping was so terrible that I was afraid to switch gears. I've noticed that the skipping gets worse on lower gears (when derailleur bends the chain less).

I'm fairly confident that the cassette is not worn out. There were no skipping before I waxed the chain. This is the second chain on this cassette and I replaced the previous chain when it hit 0.5% wear.

What am I doing wrong? Should I try to mix the paraffin with the paraffin oil?
I've heard that some guys that live in Anchorage, Alaska wax their chains. And I'm hoping that paraffin can work in winter.

Any help or advice is appreciated

Last edited by t1k; 01-15-20 at 03:53 PM.