Old 01-09-20, 03:56 PM
t1k

Bikes: C&V primarily

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
just curious: you don't mention what you do with the chain upon removing it from the crock pot. Do you install the chain "hot"? Or do you let it cool and flex the links? If it is very cold and your chain is well treated with wax, you may just have created too stiff of a chain.
Good point. That's an important detail that I missed.
I let the chain cool and flexed the links a bit (enough to be able to install the chain).
I read that some people don't flex the chain after waxing and the chain just flexes by itself during the first ride. This approach might work in warmer temperatures, but did not work for me. As the outside temperature was dropping, my chain was getting stiffer and chain skipping worsened.

I have taken off the chain yesterday and flexed it by hands, making sure that every ling spins freely. That is a very slow process on a cold chain. Next time I'll flex the chain while it's still warm.

Originally Posted by masi61
You mention turning off the crock pot and waiting until the wax thickens some before removing it. Is this step helpful or necessary? I thought of trying this because I pull mine out "hot" and sometimes feel like I haven't worked enough wax into the internals. I also have not experimented with "paraffin oil" but I am thinking about it. I have noticed that a fresh, well waxed chain will shift a little worse than one that is fully wet lubed or a waxed one where all the links have been pre-flexed by hand.
If pull the chain while the wax is hot and fluid, the wax will escape from the inside of rollers leaving only thin coating behind. If you let the wax to thicken, it'll be trapped in the rollers when you pull the chain.
That's my thinking, but I don't have enough experience with waxing to say that it's a necessary to let the wax cool down before removing the chain.

I used ideas from
for my first waxing job.