View Single Post
Old 07-16-19, 03:24 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I rode it this past Saturday for my first STP and double imperial century. Really good weather conditions. Didn't see any egregiously bad behavior from riders or drivers (there was a road rage incident that I missed by a few minutes involving a pickup truck, heard the psycho driver ran over a rider and crushed his bike). I didn't see any incidents caused by riders attaching to pacelines; I think everyone expected it because on the ride was so big that there wasn't much room to be anywhere else. Everybody at the speeds we were going (20-22 mph) were either plenty strong and taking pulls or at least courteous enough to pay attention and point/relay obstacles. Even going through the Yelm-Tenino trail, which I read could be kind of a chokepoint, went smoothly.

The scenery was so-so. The best moments were in the middle, when I enjoyed the serene quietness of the countryside. Riding the 2-day would probably be more fun from an off-bike perspective, while the 1-day was a good endurance event. I didn't do much at the finish, but if I ride it again in the future, I'd want to have some fun in the area.