Old 08-15-19, 07:17 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I think for general use for bicycles a floor pump is far more convenient than an air compressor. I have both, and I never use my air compressor for my bike. Heck, I’ve never even needed it to set up tubeless.

But if you ARE going to get a small compressor, I cannot recommend this one highly enough: Makita MAC700

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/MAC700

It is small, but puts out a respectable amount of airflow for it’s size. It is oil-lubed (as opposed to oil-less), so it is MUCH quieter than most small compressors. It also seems to draw less power on start up. Even with questionable electric feeds it has never bogged down or trips a breaker on me.
I have multiples of both floor pumps and air compressors. I virtually never use the air compressor on bike tires. I only used it once to seat some tubeless fatties, and that was only because I was in a rush to get them mounted.

My favorite pump is an ancient Silca Pista that has been rebuilt too many times to count. But this would be my last choice for Schrader valves. Of my other pumps only my Scott or the Topeak Joe Blow would be my choice for Schraders.

I've never been happy with any of the inexpensive air compressors. Most are extremely noisy, and don't last long, even in light use. I like my Bostitch compressor but absolutely love my California Air Tools compressor. Powerful yet quiet enough to run in the basement without my wife complaining or needing hearing protection. It's a little more expensive but oh so worth it.