Old 09-30-19, 08:43 PM
bhdavis1978

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite, Jamis Citizen 3.0, Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Persistent issues with shifting

I am having persistent issues with shifting on my bike. It is a 10 speed Shimano 105 system. I have replace the derailleur, the hanger, the cables with dura ace cables. One mechanic said he cleaned the inside of the shifters and relubricated it. Yet after all of that the shifting issues persist.

The last mechanic said he had to bend the hanger to get the derailleur to line up with the cogs. I asked about this, cause I figured the hanger would be perfectly aligned out of the factory. He said it is but that there is something about where the hanger connects to the frame that is requiring it. It’s not clear to me if this is the result of wear over time, or if perhaps it was a manufacturing defect that existed from the beginning. He said the derailleur was still a small amount our of alignment but that it should be good enough. Is this weird or is this a thing. For the record it’s a 2011 Giant TCR Advanced.

it seemed like it was initially, for the first ride, but over time (about 200 km) it’s slowly reverted back to its normal poor shifting self.

I’m not sure what to do. I’m getting close to thinking about just parting it out and getting a new bike.

Is it possible that electric shifting would solve this? I am under the impression that electric shifting doesn’t go out of alignment although I don’t understand how they can be accomplished.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter