View Single Post
Old 10-27-19, 09:10 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
@thook

I recently picked up my own used frame with obvious overspray on the left side chainstay. I watched a couple of YouTube videos about removing overspray without rubbing compound and BAM! I'm an expert on using a clay bar!

J/k but auto detailers use them to perfect the finish on show cars. The logic behind it is simple enough, and a few tutorials will help you learn too. I think the key is using a lubricant on the finish (like soapy water) , and using a clean section of clay to avoid dragging contaminants across the finish and scratching it up.

Overspray is essentially a paint job on an unprepared surface, so the overspray can't hold onto the top coat as well as the top coat holds onto a scuffed undercoat.
well, thank you for taking the time to explain a bit. i did do some brief reading about using one this afternoon. i don't really have time to clean the bike right now, but i do have time to research on how to until then. if it's still important enough after winter, perhaps i'll get to it....or just live with it...haha